1.21.2009

At last...

I sat and watched TV pretty much all day yesterday - with news covering the inauguration of President Obama.  And while I admit - this was the first inauguration that I remember watching and as historic as it was - I didn't really feel "emotional" about anything until I watched an interview with Beyonce Knowels yesterday evening.  She sang "At Last" for the President's first dance - and she sang it beautifully.  You could tell that during the performance that she was getting choked up by emotion - yet she held her composure.  Afterward they did an interview with her and she began to sob - truly touched by the fact that she was singing, for the president, the first black president.  I'll never truly understand the triumphs and tribulations of those fighting for this day for so long.  Nor will I be able to fully understand the magnitude of Obama's road to the White House. But I do see know - how much it can mean to a person - to be a part of something bigger than they are.  She was not a protester of the cause, or an activist of rights, or a political spokesperson.  She was just a young lady overwhelmed by the moment.  A moment that she will remember forever and now a moment that I too will remember forever.

1 comment:

Amy Brooker said...

I'm going to have to Youtube that. I missed it, but you writing it made me feel like I was there... :) miss you!