3.28.2011

Healthy Choice ... ?maybe

I am totally NOT a health nut or anything. In-fact I am quite the opposite. However, I have recently become much more conscious about what I am eating - trying to make smarter decisions. Just little things like drinking more water instead of soda, baked chips instead of fries, jello instead of a piece of pie. I am certainly not limiting myself -- just taking a second thought before I indulge. As part of that I have re-evaluated my lunch-time options.

It was typical for me to eat out every week and spend $8-$15 dollar per meal -- on food that wasn't even that good. Sure my Green Chai flatbread pizza with fresh spinach and feta is probably pretty decent on the health-o-meter. But I know the cheeseburger and fries from What-a-burger would score a big fat zero.

So the last two weeks I have tried to limit myself to only eating out once or twice a week (give me some credit - I can't go cold turkey). And then the other 3 or 4 days I bring in my little "Healthy Choice" microwavable dinner.

Well - it hit me today....as I ate my Chicken with bow-tie pasta in a pesto sauce, my measly three sprigs of broccoli with some carrot shreds, and the Cobbler-esque 'dessert' -- "Hey - can I really call this a healthy choice if I have to load it down with salt and pepper just to get it down. And then find myself snacking by 2 p.m. because I didn't get full from lunch" Needless to say I may have to re-evaluate the situation again. I am sure - somewhere out there - there a blissful combination of yummy, easy, cheap, quick, healthy goodness that I could work from. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to let me know. (And I don't do sandwiches).

What I want ...

What I had ...
BIG DIFFERENCE

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but... you do eat salads! and there's lots of options with salads - and homemade will save $$$

love you, Mom

Holly said...

Oh Dearest Mother -- yes I like salads - but a plain 'ol house salad - not every day. And the salads that I could eat every day usually involve lots of extras (bacon, grilled chicken, fried chicken). There-in lies the problem (sigh) ...not so healthy, time consuming, and the better they taste the more $$ they seem to be (i.e. Roadhouse's Chicken Fiesta Bowl - YUM!)

Becky Cowen said...

lean cuisine five cheese rigatoni - yum!

Becky Cowen said...

or a turkey salad with sweet onion dressing from subway... only $5!